How To Properly Burn A Candle For the First Time
Burning a candle might seem like a straightforward thing; you buy a new candle, take it home and light it, releasing all the yummy smells.
You might be surprised to discover there are a few handy tricks to knowing how burn a candle properly for the first time to ensure you get the most out of the fragrances and longevity of the candle.
Have you ever noticed that some candles burn evenly, while some seem to just tunnel the wick into the abyss of wax?
Honestly, it can be pretty annoying when you spend a little chunk of money on a beautiful candle but it just doesn’t last. The good news? These things are all avoidable, and it starts with knowing how to burn a candle for the first time.
Following best practices will see your candle burning slowly, evenly and leaving clean sides all the way down the vessel.
If you do end up with a wick that’s tunneling down the center, fret not! Here are a few quick problem-solving tips:
- Reset the surface of the wax by gently heating it with your hairdryer or a small heater on a low setting
- Use a pair of tweezers or a skewer to gently lift the wick out of the wax
- If the wick is buried under wax, carefully scoop away softened wax and keep the wick prepped up as you reset the surface.
Recycle the candle vessel
Now that you know how to correctly burn a candle to enjoy it to its full potential, it’s time to consider what you’ll do with the empty vessel at the end of the candle’s life.
When’s you finish with your candle there are heaps of ways to recycle and reuse the vessel. Most candles come in beautifully designed jars, so it’s worth finding another use for them.
First, gently heat the finished vessel to melt any remaining wax, then wipe it away with a clean cloth. Once the candle jar is clean, try out some of these clever ideas:
- Use it to hold pencils or makeup brushes
- Purchase some Epsom salts and bath salts, and display them in your bathroom in your beautiful candle jar
- Fill the jar with trinkets or candy and wrap it in tissue paper to give as a gift
So, take your new candle-burning wisdom and go forth to enjoy your candles for longer than you would have before. If you are looking for a candle to try these tips with, check out our hand-poured, soy candles and limited edition luxe collection.
send us a message
Contact us and we will happily respond